LMHOSTS not working for NSLOOKUP and PING
Carol Chisholm
2004-08-06 11:57:17 UTC
When I use PING and NSLOOKUP my LMHOSTS file is no longer taken into
consideration.

However NBTSTAT -c does show the entries corresponding to those in the
LMHOSTS file.

Any ideas (Windows Server 2003, cache only ISA 2000, single NIC, fixed
IP address, NETBIOS over TCP/IP enabled)
Dusty Harper {MS}
2004-08-06 18:38:20 UTC
NSLookup queries DNS servers, so the LMHosts shouldn't really come into
play.

As for PING, it will use whatever name resolution it can, which by default
on Windows 2000+ is something like:

Cache
Hosts file
DNS lookup
LMHosts file
WINS
Broadcast on the wire

If anything answers the query before hand, the rest are not used. This
means that if DNS answers the query, then LMHosts will not be used
Dusty Harper
Microsoft Corporation
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights